ICNAP V 2013 Business Meeting Minutes


Minutes of Business Meeting, ICNAP V

Ramapo College, Ramapo, NJ

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Present: F.J.Wertz, J. Martinez, M. Barber, M.B.Morrissey, C. Aanstoos, L. Anderson, M. Applebaum, C. Belvedere, R. Broome, S. Churchill, M. Connolly, M. Dougherty, L. Embree, L. Fielder, L. Fortune, E.Garrett, T. Gibbins, A. Giorgi, K. Hermberg, R.L.Lanigan, P. Lewin, P. Miceli, B.W.Morettini, J. Morley, S.L. Morris, Y. Pan, M. Peterson, R.Sowa, R. Wilson.

 

Call to order. Fred Wertz, president, called the ICNAP V business meeting to order at approximately 11:30 am, welcomed all ICNAP members to the meeting, and requested any additional agenda items. The Treasurer’s report (standing item), exercise or movement breaks, conference policies for students and faculty, corporate structure of ICNAP and tax exemption, and vision toward scholarship and applied practice were among the suggested topics. The president accepted all suggested topics as additional agenda items.

Approval of Minutes.  Upon motion duly made (Lester Embree) and seconded (Maureen Connolly), minutes of the ICNAP IV meeting held at Fordham University on May 27, 2012 were unanimously approved.

Feedback from Conference. Fred invited comments on this year’s ICNAP V conference. Discussion ensued on the concurrent session structure. Comments were made that all sessions seemed to be well-attended and had a critical mass. Jackie reported that there were more submissions than ever this past year, but she was able to accommodate everyone. Consideration was given to various options for next year such as adding a half-day to the conference, adding a fourth concurrent session, cutting down the length of individual presentations to twenty minutes, or enlarging panels in each session. Consensus was reached that for several reasons including the desire to promote interdisciplinarity and reduce attrition as well as cycling in and out of the conference, the current 3-concurrent session structure would be retained for next year, with some effort made to diversify the types of programs at the discretion of program chair (for example, Maureen suggested a workshop option that would be more interactive).

            Several additional conference-related business items and agreed-upon actions were discussed and are reported, as follows;

·      a proposal for mentoring of students received support;

·      a system for requesting member self-designated rank and description of expertise/competence will be developed by the program chair for purposes of identifying who may be appropriate candidates and willing to serve as  mentors;

·      the program chair will also develop a mechanism for notifying individuals with accepted abstracts that conference payment is due within a certain timeframe; presenters will be informed that, excepting decisions made by the treasurer within his discretion, if payment is not received by a designated date, abstract submissions will be dropped from the program;

·      a suggestion made to develop an online abstract submission system will be considered at the discretion of the program chair, if appropriate administrative support can be identified to manage such a system without imposing any burden on the chair; and

·      exercise and movement breaks will be built into the next conference, except that it was unanimously agreed that such experiences would involve no bodily contact.

Nominations: Fred opened up discussion regarding nominations, and more specifically, sought comment as to whether the term of office of the president and program chair, now 3 years, should be changed because the experience perhaps was that the terms were too long. After discussion, it was established that there were no open officer positions with only the member-at-large and editorial chair positions needing to be filled at this time. Jackie expressed her desire to complete her 3-year term as program chair now that she had two years of experience in the position. She also pointed to the benefit of having the president-elect serve in the dual role of program chair. Mary Beth clarified that this was not required under the bylaws, but might be efficient based upon Jackie’s feedback.

It was also agreed that the term of the president, president-elect, past president and program chair would be designated as two years, respectively, for each of the forgoing positions. This would allow for continuity of leadership in the office of the presidency with the past president serving in an advisory capacity for two years. Upon motion duly made and seconded, the change in terms for the offices of president, president-elect, past president and program chair were unanimously approved, effective next year. Fred will complete his third year of a 3-year term of office as president. The treasurer, secretary and members-at-large will remain in 3-year terms of office.

            Fred called for nominations for the open member-at-large position for which Maureen is completing her term. Jim Morley and Brigitte  Cypress are the other two members-at-large. The following people were nominated for the member-at-large position: Scott Churchill, Luann Fortune, and Rich Wilson. (The three nominees absented themselves from the room where the meeting was being held during the discussion and vote.) Discussion followed about the member-at-large position as well as the editorial committee chair position. There was some thought that Scott would be appropriate for editorial chair. Mary Beth reminded the president that under the bylaws, the president had authority to appoint the chair and members of the editorial committee. Fred expressed his desire, nevertheless, to get feedback from this group. After further discussion, Fred called a vote on the three nominees for member-at –large. Scott Churchill won a plurality of the votes, and all were thereafter informed of the results.

            Discussion then turned to the vacancy in the editorial chair position. Fred asked Richard to describe the job. Richard reported that “the job is quite simple” and involves editing a book and all that entails, as well as working with authors. Only about nine submissions will be worthy of publication.

It was agreed that it would be helpful to define what ICNAP’s goals were with respect to publications. Lester advanced that ICNAP should have its own publication. Michael and Scott explained that in their respective roles as journal editors, ICNAP members could submit papers to their journals. Scott also offered to consider developing a special issue for ICNAP.  A final recommendation was made around which a consensus formed that the next step should be to investigate an online journal for ICNAP. Both Lester and Richard expressed support for this option. Volunteers to work on this were sought, with the recognition that this would be a labor-intensive effort. Mary Beth offered to assume this responsibility, with support from members of the editorial committee who would be experienced journal editors. Fred nominated Mary Beth as chair of the online journal and consensus was reached that Mary Beth assume such role and be charged with development of the online journal in consultation with Executive Committee. This would be targeted for next year. Both Scott and Michael were nominated to serve on the editorial committee.

Policy on student/faculty hardship fees: Jim Morley recommended that host institutions should be able to invite faculty and students of the institution to attend the conference free of charge. There was strong support for this proposal. Student fees were considered first.

Mary Beth raised an objection to fees being set  by policy only for students of the host institution, sharing that she had received multiple requests for waiver of student fees. Mary Beth expressed her support for a uniform policy. The proposed policy on the table was amended several times. Thereafter, Mary Beth asked the president to record the policy and read it aloud so it was clear what the membership was voting on. Thereafter, the president read the following policy: “Students and faculty of the host institution pay only a set fee for meals.” The motion was called. Upon motion duly made and seconded, the foregoing policy was unanimously approved.

            It was further agreed that hardship requests, including treatment of retired members, would be dealt with on an ad hoc basis at the discretion of the Executive Committee.

Treasurer’s Report/Corporate Structure: Michael Barber presented the treasurer’s report and indicated that ICNAP had a balance of $3,706.16 in its account after paying many of the expenses and before making a deposit of what had been taken in at the registration table. Thereafter, Michael addressed concerns about ICNAP’s corporate structure. He explained that currently ICNAP is under the Alfred Schutz Center. He recommended that ICNAP consider incorporating, making application for federal tax exemption, and setting up its own bank accounts. Michael agreed to begin this process, with Mary Beth’s assistance.

            Discussion ensued on ICNAP’s corporate purposes and mission. Luann asked if ICNAP would consider expanding its mission and vision to include scholar-practitioners. Fred responded that phenomenology is a reflective theoretical discipline and for such reason, ICNAP is not a practice organization. Phenomenology can inform practice and as such, ICNAP welcomes scholar-practitioners to present at the conference. But we are not engaged in practice, nor are we using phenomenology to change the world directly.  Therefore, a consensus was reached that no change in purposes or mission is called for at this time.

            Jackie added that a key point of distinction is that what the practitioner does for a living is not what the practitioner does at the conference. ICNAP’s purview is to help educate, and therefore, no one is seeking or being compensated for any services at the conference that would constitute practice.

The last matter under the corporate structure report was Directors & Officers

insurance. Fred asked Mary Beth to explain why we needed this. Mary Beth stated that she would be negligent if she did not recommend purchase of this coverage to protect directors and officers who are serving in such capacity at the request of the organization. She estimated the cost to be roughly $700. Lester commented that this would mean an additional member assessment. Andy Giorgi asked that the matter be tabled, and the president agreed.

Conference sites: St. Louis University will be the site of the 2014 ICNAP conference. Michael Barber agreed to be host for the 2014 conference at St. Louis University. Jackie suggested that the 2015 conference be held at Brock University (hosted by Maureen Connolly), and in 2016 Jackie offered to host the conference at her home institution, Arizona State University.

Web site: Daniel Marcelle has been handling the web site for ICNAP. We thank him for his service. There was discussion about how best to handle web site management moving forward. Mary Beth suggested that ICNAP also employ facebook and twitter social media. Jackie recommended that we turn to Marc Applebuam as a start. Marc has a blog. Explorations of the Academia.edu site will also be made. Responsibility for the web site will continue to be housed under the secretary.

Logo for organization: Lester shared thoughts on  a “tree with roots,” of which he had a drawing and had sent a picture in advance to the president. It was agreed that plans would be mobilized to move forward with a logo. Suggestions will be collected and presented at the next business meeting.

Thank you. Fred expressed thanks on behalf of ICNAP to Jim Morley for a very well done conference. The meeting participants responded with a round of heartfelt applause.

Adjournment. A motion to adjourn was made by Jackie Martinez at approximately 12:45 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Mary Beth Morrissey 

© ICNAP 2015